Sally Wise’s Plum Sauce
Congratulations to Mikoto Araki who won this months #inseason #cookoff with her recommendation of Sally Wise’s plum sauce recipe.
- 3kg damson or other dark plums, washed (or greengage plums)
- 1.5kg sugar
- 6 cups cider vinegar
- 500g onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tbs* fresh ginger, grated
- 3 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- juice 1 lemon
*This is a 20 ml tablespoon.
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is boiling.
- Continue to boil for two hours or until the mixture is thick. Stir often.
- Press the mixture through a mouli, coarse sieve etc.
- Return the sauce to the saucepan and bring back to the boil.
- Pour into sterilised bottles and seal immediately.
Some people may wish to reduce the amount of ground cloves by a half teaspoon.