Urgent jobs in the garden for January
- Spray summer vegetables with seaweed solution.
- Spray eggplant fruit with Dipel to prevent caterpillar infestation.
- Water citrus trees once or twice a week especially in extreme heat as they are shallow rooted and need water near the surface.
- Water, weed, and mulch all beds to keep maximum moisture in the soil.
- Fill wicking beds weekly but daily in extreme heat.
- Prepare simple shade structures for days of very high temperatures.
- Tie raspberries to wires.
- Tie up asparagus fronds and leave until they yellow in autumn/winter before pruning to ground level.
- Harvest your fruit!
Note: blossom end rot on summer vegies is caused by under watering
Written by Robin Gale-Baker